Thursday, April 8, 2010

Icons











The three icons I have chosen are characters from Sesame Street or even the show itself, Michael Jackson, and Michelle Obama. Sesame Street is a show for children that have been around for generations. Not only is it an icon but the show teaches many important aspects in life to children. Michael Jackson is a very well known icon. Michael Jackson was a popular figure growing up. He set new standards in music and was different than any other artist. Michelle Obama is an icon to women all around. She is strong and demonstrates how to be a mother and a positive role model, all while still being able to be the first lady. Michelle Obama has done many things that other first ladies have not, such as start a vegetable garden at the White House.





I choose these three icons because I believe that they have all done things differently and have affected us in different part of our lives. Sesame Street was what we watched when we were little, we learned how to respect others, count, and many other things from the show. There were characters of all kind, including the grouch, which taught us to accept people for who they are and not judge them. I chose Michael Jackson because, again it was a part in our lives when we were growing up, he changed the way music was performed and set the stage for future artists to come. Michael had many fans as well as some who did not like him, although his music was very popular. I chose Michelle Obama because I think that she was criticized when she first was in office as first lady, but has overcome many obstacles and has fought for what she believes in. She also is trying to promote what is best for the country, and showing Americans how little changes in our lives can make a difference, such as planting a garden.





All of these icons mean something to me, whether it is a memory of my childhood or a lesson learned. Sesame Street has been around for many years and has been a show that I believe we can all allow are children to watch. There is a lot of violence and language in children shows, and I feel Sesame Street is one you do not have to worry about. Michael Jackson was never one of my favorite artists, but I did respect him as an artist and my kids love him. His music and energy was always uplifting. Michelle Obama gives me encouragement. Some days things seem like you are not going to be able to complete a task, but her strength helps me believe I can. I also think that she stands behind in what she believes and that teaches me to try and believe in and go after what I want.

1 comment:

  1. I think that your choices for iconic figures are GREAT!. I almost chose the cast of Sesame Street, but Dora then came to mind. I know I loved watching the show because it was so educational and still fun. I did chose MJ for the exact same reasoning as you. I think he has aspired many and will continue to do so even after death. In terms of Michelle Obama I think is legendary on her own. She has founded what a first lady should be in the White House and I love her charisma for change.

    ReplyDelete