Sunday, April 11, 2010

As I am sitting at work, bored, waiting for customers to show up or even call reminds me of how the world of photography has changed. Before digital cameras were introduced and affordable to everyone, many people went to portrait studios or used professional photographers to take family pictures. Although there was a lot involved with film pictures, and the cost was more in the long run, the digital camera era is hurting the photography business.
Digital cameras were introduced slowly, but now have become so popular that everybody has one. Who needs to waste money on using the portrait studio or paying a photographer? The prices that professionals charge are way higher than printing them at home or even taking them to a photo kiosk at your favorite store. Before, when a person took pictures on their own they had no clue to have they would look. There is no more rolling the wheel to get to the next frame or waiting for the flash to load. Depending on what kind of camera you have you can take several pictures very quickly instead of missing an opportunity. With digital cameras you can see the image and decide if you need to retake it or not. Taking pictures from a film camera also meant that you had to wait to have it developed, and lets face it I think I still have a few rolls of film that I have not had developed yet; who knows what is on those.
The change to digital cameras may upset the photography business, but in the long run it gives more people the option to do what they want, and to have instant pictures. Photographers still have a better eye then amateurs do, but you may not need the photographer as much as before. I am not complaining because I do not take my kids to the portrait studio anymore either. Having a nice camera and being able to capture them outside, in a park setting is much more appealing than the cheesy backgrounds that portrait studios have. Digital cameras have made life more convenient, and have reduced the need for professional photographers. Sales are slowly declining and boredom is really settling in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of the digital camera! I have a 3 mth old and every day I take pics of her and go to Walgreens or CVS. to get them developed. I set up my own background and my pics come out looking professional! Who need JC Penny's or Olan Mills!!!!

    ReplyDelete